Sunday, March 15, 2009

To cure our ills

I will now step onto my proverbial soap box and begin to preach.  
This is a topic of great debate in America and has been since Bill and Hillary were president years ago.

Universal Health Care.

There is a problem in America's health care system...if you don't have health insurance, you face insurmountable obstacles if you become very ill.
There is coverage for most of the poor, it is called  The Medicaid Program.  The Federal Government oversees the program, but it is up to the states to carry it out.  States may also make some changes and add their own rules regarding eligibility.  It is a complex system.
Most people feel that as a world super power and one of the richest countries in the world, America should have no uninsured citizens.  America is one of the few countries that does not have a universal health care system in place.  Why? 
Cost.
We allow capitalism to dictate the basic cost of health care.  However, costs do have an artificial ceiling.  Most health care facilities and providers will accept a predetermined amount from insurance companies and government agencies.  This amount is considered the customary or 'going rate' (a sort of average).  For those without insurance, the cost can actually be quite a bit lower, IF they can pay their bill on demand.  If not, they may be forced to sell assets to cover the cost of their care.  Or make payments if allowed.  Hence, the possibility of bankruptcy.
I have personally never been without insurance.  As a child and student, I was covered by my father's.  As an adult, either my wife or I have always been employed by companies that either provide a discounted plan or pay for our premiums.  We have accepted positions before, based on the insurance plans offered.
Although I have always had coverage, the deductibles (my out of pocket share), co-pays at office visits and prescription amounts have certainly varied from plan to plan.  We average (once deductibles and discount premiums are met), about $2,000 per year in medical expenses.  The attention we get is first rate.  I hope it continues.  I am willing to pay what I do for the coverage we have.  I also pray I can continue to afford it.
Now, what about every one else, like two of my sisters that are self employed and cant afford insurance?  One of them had thyroid cancer.  She went to a teaching hospital for surgery and treatment.  There, she was given about $60,000 (1992) worth of care...at no cost to her.
I don't know if this is the norm, but, it seems that there is help out there.
With that said, I do believe more should be done to help control the ever raising costs of medicine.  We can't wait for the medical providers to lower their fees or insurance companies to give deep discounts.  The government seems to be where every one is turning to for answers.  I find that very unsettling.  If the changes that will surely come cause my care to go down, even a tad, then I hope they leave it alone.
If the government does take charge, I have an idea how to pay for it.

Taxes.  Novel idea, I know.  But what to tax?  Smokers, they already pay about $3 for every pack smoked in some areas.  "Tax 'em cause they increase the burden on the health system", they say.  That hasn't done it yet.  The drinkers pay allot too.  So the Clinton's idea of a 'Sin Tax' was kicked around years ago.  The problem was it had too narrow a field of vision.  Had they taken off their blinders, it would be very clear where the most 'sin' is.  
Gluttony.
In the U. S., the fastest growing disease is Type 2 Diabetes.  It is most commonly caused by obesity.  This is discussed as an epidemic among all age groups of Americans.  As outlined by the Federal Government, the daily caloric intake for an adult male is about 2500 calories and 2000 for women.  Anything more can easily turn to unwanted weight on an under active person.  Along with these guidelines is that only 3 grams of fat per 100 calories is acceptable, any more is considered excess.  If you want to fund a National Health Care Program, tax all consumables that are considered unhealthy.  If it has more than 30% of it's calories from fat or over 45%-60% of calories from carbs, then tax the daylights out of it.  By consuming excess amounts of these foods, one will eventually become unhealthy.  Overeating causes obesity, heart disease, diabetes, it aggravates gastric problems, arthritis and even mental health.  This is not an opinion, it is fact.  This is exactly the way to pay for health care and charge those who are a burden on the health care system.  
I hope this post can help stir an interest in a grass roots movement in enlightening people in ways to spend less on health care, either through a healthy lifestyle or by spending more for unhealthy appetites.
If you find any mistakes in numbers or claims, please let me know.  I want only to make a positive statement.

4 comments:

  1. National Health care is good for bare minimum treatment but most people above the poverty line in the UK also opt for "private cover" such as Bupa since it's perceived as difficult to get NHS services in a reasonable time frame, if at all. I'm not sure what to say. I think our society is overly reliant on medical insurance because it's overly medicalized, and the answer is actually to stop trying to fix everything with big pharma, which costs lotsa dolla. I have been happy to see the "Minute Clinics" in the US as well as the rise of nurse practitioners, as we do not need a "doctor" for routine claims. But until we live in a society where Orthopaedic Surgery does not automatically equate to millionaire, I'll be unhappy. And it's really no better in the UK where being a doctor still confers status but only money if you work "private" and thus non-NHS. The system here is crumbling under economic pressures and the only reason I'm not panicking is because I don't really want to partake of too much "modern" medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the "Minute Clinics", they have great potential. I hope more people use these instead of opting for a trip to the 'Emergency Room'. It seems as though people are using the E R instead of a visit to a clinic (which would be MUCH less). My health plan requires a $100 co-pay for an E R visit, a good deterrent for a non emergency. My daughter was referred to the E R recently for X-Rays and labs. I do not understand why orders for these tests weren't written instead. It could have saved me $100 and a 1 1/2 hr wait in an infected waiting room. I guess sometimes, Dr.'s can be part of the problem too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lance,
    I've worked in an ER for 10 years.Most people don't know this,but we already have mostly nationalized healthcare.Probably at least 20% of the people who come to the ER don't have government assistance or insurance.But they're never turned away.And they probably can't afford their bills(they don't receive the rebates that insurance companies get.),so those of us with insurance end up paying for the uninsured,too.Hey,the hospital is a business,somebody's gotta pay the bill.
    The healthcare system is a mess.There is no fix.We'll continue with the current system until it collapses.And it will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julio,
    My sister that had cancer that I wrote about here, was just telling me about some great improvements that the state of Florida has undergone with the uninsured. I asked her to comment about her medical care then and now.

    You said, "those of us with insurance end up paying for the uninsured,too..." Passing of the bill to other consumers is expected, albeit not welcomed. Every consumer driven industry must regain lost revenue because of shrink, theft or other losses with higher prices.

    Thanks for the 'insider element' reply.

    ReplyDelete