Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I wonder what life would be like if...

I wonder what life would be like if I could move to another city, state or even another country.  
I grew up in the house that my wife and I are raising our children in.  I have lived here most of my life with the exception of the time she and I spent at Eastern Kentucky University and in a couple of houses we lived in while we "flipped" them.  
As a young man, I considered joining the US Army as a Linguist.  I had studied German for 3 years in high school and thought it would be neat to use my education for work.  
This didn't come about for many reasons, some of which I may elaborate on at a later time. 
After trying that, I considered moving to Kennebunkport, Maine, to study naval architecture at The Landing School. That was shot down by economics.
I finally left home to attend college in Richmond, KY.  It wasn't the move I dreamt of.  It was only two hours from home.  But still, I was on my way!  I could only be stopped by myself!  

After two years there, we came home.  

I fell short of getting my degree and found it much harder than expected to find a job, no, a career.  My only interests were designing houses and remodeling.  But, as a young man with no degree and limited experience, my only prospect for work was sales in a hardware store and later in a couple of national home improvement retailers, one of which I worked my way to Customer Service Manager and later became Administrative Manager (Assistant Manager).  
All the while, I honed my skills in design and remodeling until I felt secure enough to branch out on my own.  People who knew me and my abilities were constantly asking me to work for them.  Jobs I accepted ranged from the remedial tasks of painting and plumbing repair to the more exciting and challenging tasks of designing custom additions and whole house remodels.  I had finally found my niche.  I left my position at Lowe's and became my own boss.

For 3 1/2 years.

Until the economy tanked.

And the money ran out.

Then once again, I looked around and thought about moving to a new city or state.  A place that could provide more opportunity for my wife and me to offer our children a good upbringing like we both knew.  We were both raised by railroaders.    My dad was a locomotive engineer for C&O (CSX).  Her dad was in management and was my dad's boss.  
As fate would have it, the railroad was hiring conductors just as I was re-entering the work force.  So I applied, thinking about how a relocation to another division was surely the only way I would get this sought after job.  Wouldn't you know it...they hired me to work right here at home.  I still didn't get to move out of here.  But, I guess, that's O.K.  Our children are 11 & 4 and are close to their grand parents and cousins.  A move would be hardest on them.
  
Sometimes i think about how life would have been different if I had joined the Army and moved away...but, I'm sure my wife of nearly 17 years would have met someone else and I would have never known her.  Chip and Emmy would never have graced this earth to make me such a happy father.  
I don't regret my decisions at all.  I just wander what it's like out there. Perhaps even life as an expat...living somewhere in europe.


No comments:

Post a Comment